Saturday, November 20, 2010

Q. What Do You Do With a B.A. in Creative Writing? A. Publishing!

What do you do with a B.A. in English?
What is my life going to be?
Four years of college,
And plenty of knowledge,
Have earned me this useless degree!
I can't pay the bills yet,
‘Cause I have no skills yet,
The world is a big scary place!
But somehow I can't shake,
The feeling I might make,
A difference to the human race!


These lines, from the satiric musical Avenue Q, kind of summed up my life these past few (alright, many) months.  The job hunt is depressing and frustrating, especially in this economy…but I KNEW I was meant to be in publishing.  I KNEW that it had to be children’s books so that I could help inspire kids to love reading.  And I KNEW it was worth the wait- because, ya know, maybe I will be able to make a difference. 

So I am VERY pleased to announce that I am now the Unemployed Book Lover, who has achieved her Book Lover Goal #1.  Yesterday I was hired as editorial assistant for Sarah Shumway and Anne Hoppe at Katherine Tegen/HarperCollins Children’s Books.  I am beyond happy!

More information will be forthcoming as I figure out all the details.  And when I start November 29th!  YAY!

1 comment:

  1. YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    and love avenue q! haha

    ReplyDelete