Friday, April 8, 2011

You Are What You Read


Scholastic’s created this awesome website: You Are What You Read. And it might just be a gimmick: celebrities as well as us normal people can list the five books you’ve read that have made you who you are. Kind of like the way parents always say, “you are what you eat (so don’t eat all those donuts).” It’s pretty interesting to think of, though. We’re not talking your five favorite books, but rather the five books that have impacted or changed the way your life has turned out. Pretty powerful stuff, but that’s books for you! You can submit your five books on the website, but I’m just going to share here. I’ve already talked about many of these books, so my explanations are Twitter-style. Here is my Bookprint:

 Little Women (Oxford World's Classics)     The Abominable Snowman (Choose Your Own Adventure #1)                      Alanna: The First Adventure (Song of the Lioness, Book 1)                             Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone: 10th Anniversary Edition (Harry Potter)          Far from the Madding Crowd (Signet Classics)


Little Women by Louisa May Alcott: A family read aloud book. Jo March was the great and realistic role model I needed as a kid. I’m more of a Meg these days but still a writer!

The Abominable Snowman by R.A. Montgomery: Changed me from a reluctant reader to book lover in 3rd grade. Wouldn’t be where I am today if not for teacher (Mrs. Moore) giving me this inspiring book.

Alana: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce: 6th grade introduction to fantasy, which I have devoured (and imitated in writing) ever since. Plus, Alana is a great example for grrrrl power.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J.K. Rowling: I grew up on this series, literally aging with the Hogwarts gang. The world is so real and vivid to me. (PS. Look at that 10th anniversary cover!)

Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy: First classic novel I picked up on my own (9th grade) and adored. Set me down the road of Jane Austen and Charlotte Brontë worshipping and English majoring.


What five books have impacted your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment