Sunday, September 26, 2010

Books + NYC + Map = Love

I’m a Book Lover, obviously.  I <3 NY and am eager to move here permanently.  It is, after all, the second best city in the world (after London, naturally).  But what you may not know about me is that I’m obsessed with maps.  When I was little my mom posted a huge world map on the wall and I would impressed my extended family with my ability to find any country they could name.  Today, I’m lucky I now have a boyfriend who thinks he drags me into map stores, when really, I want to be there just as much as he does.  (Really really cool) Old maps, new maps, world maps, city transportation maps…they fascinate me.  Thus, when I found something the other day that combined all three of my loves, I just had to share it:


This is AWESOME.  Of course, the map doesn’t include a lot of recent MG/YA books that have Manhattan settings.  Laurie Halse Anderson’s Revolutionary War era Chains and Forge, Rebecca Stead’s Newbery winner When You Reach Me, Anna Godbersen’s turn of the century Luxe series, or Cecily von Ziegesar’s Gossip Girl series, for example.  And there are plenty of others; authors past and present have always been pulled towards NYC and the amazing setting the island provides.  So use this map as a start for your Manhattan literary wonderings, and add your own, too.  I’m sure you’ll find something around every corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment