Friday, December 17, 2010

Christmas Countdown


Fact: There are only eight days until Christmas.  Seven if you start celebrating like my family on the 24th.  That’s ONE WEEK!

For the time being, I won’t go into how awesome Christmas is or my favorite Christmas traditions.  Those can be saved for later.  Right now, here’s a Christmas book countdown…seven books for seven more days!

The Polar Express by Chris Van Allsburg.
(PB) The Christmas book of all Christmas books.  A few years ago my mom gave my sister and I each a silver bell ornament to remind us to always feel the magic of the season.  Can you still hear it ringing?







 (PB) Jan Brett’s illustrations are so fantastically detailed.  And while The Mitten might be a better known (and classic) children’s book, I always related to the protagonist in this one.







(PB) A family favorite that has inspired several movies and even a popular song, you have to love the Grinch…and the lesson both he and the Whos in Whoville learn.







The Story of Holly & Ivy by Rumer Godden and Barbara Cooney
(PB) A sweet story about wishing, dreaming and belonging.  Plus the doll in the story is really pretty; perfect for my (non-so-inner) girly girl-ness.







The Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson
 (MG) It takes a family of unruly children to teach the (religious) meaning of Christmas in this book, which has a special importance to me as the first play I was ever in was an adaptation of this classic.






Dash and Lily’s Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan
(YA) I have to admit, I haven’t quite read this one yet (because I’m in NYC and left it in CT…boo), but how can you not like a teenage love story set in Manhattan during Christmas time? Next year it will be the first holiday book I read!





A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
(Adult) Although Scrooge may be an old man, the lesson he learns is one every teen should know…so they don’t end up having three ghosts visit them on Christmas Eve!   And besides, the
beloved Muppets version of this classic definitely appeals to kids…and adults!





So take a moment to relax away from the got-to-find-the-perfect-gift-and-fit-in-all-these-holiday-parties-and-cooking-baking-and-decorating-andeverything-else to sit down by the fireplace with a cup of cocoa and start reading one of these books, or your own favorite.  The season really is magical.

No comments:

Post a Comment