Friday, December 31, 2010

Confession


Here is a confession and a resolution wrapped into one: I have not written or edited a single word in any story of mine since the second weekend in November.   *GASP*

No, seriously, this is bad.  Life got in the way.  And granted, I’ve accomplished a lot and I can be very grateful for that this year: I’ve gotten both a job and an apartment, plus traveled to CT/NH for Thanksgiving and Christmas.  I’ve been busy and understandably so. 

Understandable, yes.  Acceptable, no. 

Why? Because it’s SOOOOO easy to make up excuses as to why you can’t get something done.  This applies to everyone and anything: it could be doing the laundry, going to the gym, or calling a long lost friend.   But I cannot let life and excuses get in my way of writing.  I will not.

When I have a routine (like I did over the summer and part of the fall), my writing went wonderfully.  It was more fun than work.  I was productive and creative and I looked forward to my moments I had set aside to write.  I respected this time just as if it was written in my planner and unrescheduleable. I wouldn’t schedule a doctor’s or hair appointment in the morning.  My family respected this time too; my mom knew that I couldn’t go shopping with her before noon on the weekend because I was writing; I made plans around my designated writing time.  This worked.  Really well. 

So, my resolution for 2011 is to set up a special writing time again and not let anything- social events, my boyfriend making me a three course meal (*hint* starting and ending with dessert, please *hint*), napping, etc. - to get in the way.  I know that with a full time job I won’t have as much time to write as I did when I was basically doing nothing over the summer, but…

Starting January 1st, I WILL WRITE REGULARLY.  

Got it? I hope you guys will help keep me on track ;-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment