Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Bad Guys (and Girls!)

Today’s RTW question from YA Highway: Who are your favorite literary villains/antagonists, and why?
There are bad guys: Lord Voldemort, Sauron, Captain Hook, etc.
Then there are bad girls: cold, vicious, manipulative women who will use any means to get what they want. Even with fantastical settings and magical abilities, I find these women more human. More real. More of someone who could really exist. And that what’s really creepy. They’re the perfect villain. Cruella de Vil (101 Dalmatians), Mrs. Coulter (Golden Compass), Mrs. Danvers (Rebecca), and various wicked stepmothers and witches from fairytales come to mind. My favorite bad gal, though, has to be The White Witch from The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe—she uses candy to lure in her victims! I wouldn’t be able to resist that. Scary, right?

2 comments:

  1. Great choices! Seeing as I've been dying for a Turkish delight since I first read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe I know for a fact I'd be at the White Witch's mercy. No way could I refuse that offer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are excellent-- the white witch is especially creepy and evil. She is expert at manipulating poor Edmund, and of course he's the last one to realize it.

    ReplyDelete